Did You Know?
- Ninety-seven percent of people in prison return to society, yet only ten percent receive substantial rehabilitative programming while in prison.
- A person’s chances of succeeding once they leave prison increase exponentially if they have a college degree. The average recidivism rate is 63%: with a degree, it is less than 11%.
- At the current rate, one in twenty Americans will be incarcerated at some point in their lives.
- In 1980 about half the people entering state prison were violent offenders; in 1995 less than a third had been convicted of a violent crime.
- Half the people in prison in the United States are African-American. Thirteen percent of the US population is African-American.
- Of the 80,000 women now imprisoned, about seventy percent are non-violent offenders. Seventy-five percent have children.